NS 8732 8040
1889 Irving Memorial Church
1900 Irving Free Church
1900 Falkirk Camelon United Free Church 1906
1906 Irving United Free Church 1929
1929 Irving Church of Scotland
1889: New church erected designed by G Deas Page in the Gothic style on land adjacent to the hall, feued from Ralph Stark. The front elevation faces east onto Dorrator Road. It contains a handsome entrance porch above which is a large traceried window 9ft wide and 15ft tall, and above that again is a belfry. Two narrow arched Gothic windows were placed at the extremes of the gable and smaller windows in the sides of the porch to light the spacious vestibule (and a staircase should a gallery be inserted at a later date). In the back gable is a window above the platform, it is a traceried window 8ft in diameter. The side walls contain five arched windows each. The ceiling is 32ft high and the iron tie rods can be seen. To the rear of the church a small hall or session house, 24ft by 11ft, and a vestry. The mason for the work was John Gardner, Polmont. The Memorial stone was laid on 11th Jan 1890. Cost £800.
1906: The Irving memorial Hall demolished and rebuilt to make two larger halls.
1969: Trial union with St. John’s and Camelon Trinity failed in October 1972.
1972: New hall to seat 270 in Dorrator Road to replace the earlier hall in Main Street demolished during the Council “improvements”. Cost £20,000. It included a kitchen and toilet facilities, with committee rooms upstairs.
2005: United with the congregation of St John’s.
2002: Wall hanging showing a dove next to a crucifix above a townscape. “Peace on Earth”. Designed by Effie Ross and made by members of the congregation.
1892, Feb: Put in belfry in memory of Miss Irving.
1890: Seat 320 (plus 206 in proposed gallery).
1906: Halls for 270 and 98 folk.
See separate entry for stained glass.
See separate entry for Camelon Irving & St John’s War Memorials
MINISTERS OF IRVING CHURCH
|Jaffrey, Robert L||Aug 1893|
|Muirhead, John||Mar 1930|
|Dewar, Duncan||Feb 1935|
|McGhie, John||Apr 1942|
|Bruce, Arthur William||Mar 1947|
|Smith, James Alexander Wemyss||Jul 1956|
|McLeod, John Angus||Jun 1962|
|Fulton, Sally Foster|
G.B. Bailey (2019)