Laurieston Reformed Presbyterian Church

Laurieston Reformed Presbyterian Church(SMR 831)

NS 9099 7941

MacMillanite Church

Cameronian

 

TIMELINE

1784    Laurieston Reformed Presbyterian Church   1876

1876    Laurieston Free Church        1900

1900    Laurieston United Free Church                                 1929

1929    Laurieston West Church of Scotland              1945

1784: A petition for a disjunction by members of the eastern area of the Stirling congregation of the Reformed Presbyterian Church was accepted in November.  Laurieston being central to the seven parishes said to be involved was chosen as the site for the new church.

1788: First minister ordained.

1789:  Church built in James Street, but communion still held on the Knowe (which included “Congregation Hall” now part of Callendar Park) in the open in August.  These occasions became like fair days for the village.

1863:  Larger church rebuilt on the same site at a cost of £770.  It had long sandstone steps facing the south, on each side of the door was a tall arched window.  There were four large rectangular windows built into the east and west walls and a further two in the back gable.  The architect was Binnie of Glasgow and the contractors also came from Glasgow.  Opened October.

Old building opposite the church used as a hall.

Large church hall built.

1924: Re-opened after renovation.

1945: United with the Parish Church and West Church sold.

MANSE

1820s: Erected on part of the Knowe.

SEATING

1863: 500.

MINISTERS OF

LAURIESTON REFORMED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

Jul 1788

Reid, John Dec 1820

Mar 1822

Young, Hugh Apr 1862

Feb 1864

Symington, Andrew 1869

Mar 1870

Hunter, James Aug 1920

Oct 1920

Ross, John Herbert Dec 1925

Apr 1926

Whyte, James Jun 1936

May 1937

Paxton, William Fimister Apr 1945