St Mary’s Episcopal Church

St Mary's Episcopal Church (SMR 1472)

NS 9323 8174

 

St. Mary’s Episcopal Church

 

TIMELINE

1901:  A corrugated iron building that belonged to the Admiralty was erected for use as a mission church (“tin kirk”) for the Falkirk Episcopalian church in Carronflats Road.

1937: Foundation stone for a new church laid on 3rd October at the junction of Carronflats Road and Ronaldshay Crescent on land granted by the Marquis of Zetland.  The architect was Maxtone Craig of Edinburgh, Messrs Williamson of Grangemouth sole contractors.   It opened July the following year.   The stones used came from Kerse House and the slates from the miners’ rows in Standburn.   Waxed oak pews and panelled ceiling.  Altar of reconstructed stone with red drapings.  The old church became the church hall, and was used by the scouts and other groups until 1983.

1948: Grangemouth made an independent charge.

1980: New church hall opened 21.9.1980.

2001: Double-glazed units replaced the original leaded windows.

MANSE

1983: Tin kirk demolished and rectory built.

FITTINGS

1937: Church font is made of onyx.

Celtic cross, candlestick and vases wrought by Edward Spencer.

WINDOW

See separate entry for stained glass.

WAR MEMORIAL

See separate entry for War Memorial.

SEATING

1901: 250 on natural oak pews.

MINISTERS OF GRANGEMOUTH EPISCOPALIAN CHURCH

Cartledge 1908
Hollands, T J Apr 1917

Sep 1917

Newell, Robert James
Heatlie, James W 1930s

Oct 1947

Towndrow, Frank Noel

Jul 1951

Wilson, J H F

Apr 1955

Rodger, John Sep 1960

June 1961

Robson, Alan E
Mein, James 1980s

G.B.Bailey (2019)