Falkirk Town Mission Windows

Falkirk Town Mission (1)(SMR 1489)

(1) In the south gable is a large Venetian window containing stained glass donated by ex-provost Macpherson at the opening. The side panels and spandrel contain geometric floral arrangements in an art and crafts style, and in the centre is a framed textual panel with a red winged angel overtopping it. The text reads: “”For God so loved the World that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” John iii, 16.”

 

(2) A new stained-glass window was commissioned in 2001 to be placed against the Falkirk Town Mission (2)original church stained-glass window with lighting in between, thereby each window can be viewed from alternative sides. The new window is based upon the Fruits of the Spirit as depicted in Galatians Ch. 5 vs. 22-23. These are: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. In the spandrel is the night sky; the main scene shows the Holy Dove at the centre of rays of light, over a wavy sea containing fish with ivy tendrils below and to the sides. The window was later dedicated to the memory of Hugh Black, co-founder of the Struthers Memorial Church.

G.B. Bailey (2019)