(SMR 271 )
The house was built for John Fairley, wood merchant, in 1878-9 and was designed by J.M. McLaren. At the north-west corner facing the drive is the ornate entrance doorway at the foot of a drum tower.
The circular entrance porch is paved with a mosaic with “SALVE” spelled out in the central panel. The two side windows at eye level have geometric stained glass with roundels in the upper panes featuring homely floral decorations.
Above the door are three rectangular lights – the flanking ones containing slightly more simplified floral roundels, but the central one depicts a red-haired woman in a white gown with yellow sunflower patterns. She holds a fan in her left hand and stands in front of sunflowers.
The inner door, on the opposite side of the circular lobby, has a large etched glass central panel, bordered by small square panes each containing a circular painted design. There are two rows of five of these at the top.
G.B. Bailey (2019)