The Public Hall on the Main Street in Bonnybridge was erected by public subscription and opened in 1900. It was a meeting centre, social centre, library, reading room and a sign of civic pride. Concerts were held in the hall from the beginning and featured classical music as well as variety acts. In August 1907 Bendon’s Bioscope and Concert Company visited several local halls over the space of a week and these included Denny Town Hall, Bonnybridge Public Hall, Grangemouth Town Hall, Bo’ness Town Hall and Falkirk Town Hall.
In October 1912 the Public Hall Trustees in Bonnybridge decided to let the hall to Albert Faulkner for two years to run picture and variety entertainments. The following month it was noted that:
“about 8 different tradesmen are at present busily employed at the Bonnybridge Public Hall getting it in readiness for Mr Faulkner’s cinema entertainment. Electric light is being installed, scenery painted, and seats upholstered”(Falkirk Herald 23 November 1912, 5).
To meet the requirements of the law an additional exit was made. Faulkner’s Picture Palace in Bonnybridge was opened on 9 December 1912 by Allan Gillespie, Ure-Allan Park. Attendances were good but at the end of the lease Faulkner decided not to renew it. Although we do not know the reasons we can guess that the advent of the war and the competition from the rival just along the road were included. Bonnybridge Public Hall continued to be used for meetings, dances and concerts into the 1960s, but was demolished in 1969.
Bonnybridge Public Hall SMR 1826 NS 8270 8046