Larbert Waulk Mill

In 1687 John Makie was the “walker in Lairber,” that is the fuller, at which time he was summoned before the baron court of Falkirk and ordered to pay “£12 for walkmylne.”  The waulk mill is again mentioned in 1745 when the Duke of Hamilton was noted as the superior.  The waulk mill was located at the western end of the lade to the original Larbert Mill – and hence was also known as the “Wester Mill.”  It had closed by 1761 when some of the equipment was sold off, including “The waulk-mill-stalk is a folding one.” (Edinburgh Evening Courant 2 May 1761, 3).

G.B. Bailey, 2022