Middlerig Mill

Illus: Ordnance Survey Map of 1860/62 (National Library of Scotland).

Mid-nineteenth century corn mill on the Polmont Burn to the south-east of the farmsteading of that name near Reddingmuirhead.  This became part of the Kinneil Estate.  The corn mill was included in the lease of the farm.  

To be let on a lease of 17 years from Martinmass next, the farm and lands of Middlerig near Redding, consisting of 101 acres imperial or thereby, with the corn mill, houses and offices, all as at present, possessed by Mr Russell of Bonnyfield… The mill is in good working order and in the hands of an enterprising tenant would command a large business.”

(Falkirk Herald 16 July 1863).

It remained in use as a mill right up to the end of the century:

The Farm of MIDDLERIG… presently possessed by Mr William Duncan… The Buildings (which include a Water-Power Thrashing and Grinding Mill) are suitable and in good order”  

(Falkirk Herald 17 June 1899, 1).

The mill was not operated for long into the twentieth century and now only the footings of its walls survive.

Sites and Monuments Record

Middlerig MillSMR 1246NS 9138 7747

G.B. Bailey, 2022