“Two lint mills” are shown on an estate plan of 1758 beside the waterfalls on the Walton Burn, just before its confluence with the Red Burn (RHP 6103 dated 1758). This now coincides with the crossing point of the railway, and all that can be seen on the ground are random stones.
These lint mills were probably part of the promotion of that industry using money from the forfeited Jacobite estates in the mid-18th century.
Sites and Monuments Record
|Walton Burn Mills||SMR 1048||NS 7845 7725|