James Dobbie & Co.
Sites & Monuments Record
|Kilsyth Rd||SMR 1042||NS 779 792|
1897: Opened by James Dobbie ironfounder, whose previous works had been in Glasgow. The first casting was in September 1897. The site covered 3 acres on the north side of the Kilsyth Road, south of the railway. The best known product was the Perfectum range.
1909: The partners were James Dobbie, David McCulloch and William Spiers.
1915: McCulloch and Spiers retired and the partnership dissolved by mutual consent. The Dobbie family continued the works.
1953: Sole partner George Ure Dobbie.
1955: New show facilities provided in accordance with the Public Health (Scotland) Acts 1897 to 1945.
1958: Wound up in this year. Site taken over by Duncan Stewart (Bonnybridge Ltd, a building contractor for use as a yard and store.
In 1947 the firm advertised that it manufactured stoves, ranges, register grates, barless fires, sad irons, girdles, fry pans, boot lasts and general light castings. Falkirk Museum possesses some ornaments – cat-faced ashtrays and horse figurines in a glazed metallic finish (1998-9).