Bonnymuir Foundry

Illus: Extract from the 1898 Ordnance Survey Map (National Library of Scotland).

Sites & Monuments Record

Broomhill Rd, BonnybridgeNS 828 796


Bonnymuir Malleable & Cast Iron Co– 1886
George Mitchell and Son   1886 – 1928
Mitchell Russell & Co Ltd 1928 –

1883: Work’s boiler exploded due to a defective safety valve and a weakness of the shell at the bottom circumferential seam.  Site taken over by James Costelle, plumber in Glasgow, but stood empty for a number of years.

1886:  Bonnymuir Malleable and Cast Iron Foundry near Greenhill Station for sale by Campbell –Ferguson & Co at the reduced upset price of £200. It included almost an acre of land and a two-storey house.  The firm of Messrs George Mitchell and Son, Bonnymuir Foundry, was estab­lished.   The site lies just south of the Broomhill Inn, north of the railway.   It is was later used as a garage.

1928: Took over the Chattan Foundry and became Mitchell Russell & Co. Ltd.

See Broomhill Foundry.

G.B. Bailey, 2021