Lane and Girvan 1904-1960
Lane & Girvan (1961) Ltd 1961-1972
Repton Foundry (Scotland) Ltd 1972-1977
Sites & Monuments Record
|Caledonia Stove Works, Bonnybridge||SMR 537||NS 822 798|
1904: Founded by William Ross Lane and Girvan at the Milnquarter Foundry in Seabegs Road near the railway station. Their main products were stoves and ranges for the colonial market. Lane had been a partner with Smith and Wellstood.
1914: William Lane and James Ferguson partners, making stoves, grates, rain water goods, etc.
Illus: The Fitting and Finishing Department of the Caledonia Foundry.
1919: Partnership dissolved and a new joint stock company registered under the name of Lane and Girvan Co with the aim of taking over the adjacent Caledonia Stove and Iron Works. The partners in the new firm were William Ross Lane and James Ferguson.
1930s: Enamelling became a speciality of the works and new products included the Crag portable cooker, Linden mantle grate, Caledonia Modern Dover stove, Caledonia range and the Pallinda oven over fire grate.
1955: New enamelling shop with box muffles constructed.
Illus: The Offices of the Caledonian Works shortly before demolition, c2005.
1961: Lane & Girvan went into voluntary liquidation but was kept as a going concern and sold to Repla Foundry Limited, an English company based in Staffordshire. Now known as Lane & Girvan (1961) Ltd. Orders were received from the Bathgate vehicle works. William Payne continued as manager.
1967: Repla taken over by Midlands Industries Ltd.
1972: Changed hands again, now Repton Foundry (Scotland) Ltd.
Part of the site is now occupied by the Direct Works Dept of Falkirk Council, and part by Clan Storage.