Grangemouth R.C. School

On 7 November 1895 the foundation stone of a new Roman Catholic School-Chapel was laid by Archbishop Macdonald from Edinburgh.  The site had been obtained from the Marquis of Zetland and lay on the north side of Kerse Road a little to the east of Lumley Street.  The building was designed in a French Gothic style by G Deas Page, architect, Falkirk, and was essentially a church which was also to act as a school.  It cost about £900 and the contractors were: mason – John Gardner; joiner – A Williamson & Son; slater – John Lamb & Son; plumber – WJ Morrison; plasterer – James Russell; glazier – Daniel O’ May; painter – A W Allan; smith – John Kidd.  For a description of the building see Sacred Heart Church.

Illus 2: 1896/97 Ordnance Survey Map (National Library of Scotland).

The school had been entirely funded by subscriptions from the Catholic community but in 1901 application was made for an annual grant from the Department of Education in order to pay the salaries of the teachers.  At that time it had around a roll of 73 pupils with an average attendance of 60.  The Church deemed that the accommodation was fit for 100 scholars.  However, the requirements of the Department led to the building being enlarged in 1905 by about one half, which also allowed for the increasing congregations on Sundays.

The passing of the 1918 Act incorporating Catholic Schools within the State system led to the building at Grangemouth being renovated by the County Council.  However, it also led to a reconsideration of the joint function of the structure and in 1927 the new Sacred Heart Church was opened in Dalratho Road.    Work began on reconstructing the school on 26 May 1929.  New cloakrooms, new corridors, and new lavatories were added, using part of playground, and new windows and electric lighting were installed.  The work was designed and overseen by the county’s architect, A N Malcolm, and cost about £1,228.

Illus 3: 1951/53 Ordnance Survey Map (National Library of Scotland).

In 1960 the estimated cost of a replacement building was put at £80,000. The new Sacred Heart RC Primary School  in Bowhouse Road was opened in 1962 after a delay due to an argument between Stirlingshire Water Board and Grangemouth Town Council over water rights.

Thomas McGovernpresent

National Grid Reference

Kerse RoadNS 9270 8186

G.B. Bailey, 2023