This school appears to have been in existence in 1847 and was called a “Dames’ School.” The Ordnance Surveyors in 1859 described the school as:
“A school in the village of Carron. The ordinary branches are taught. It is a private adventure, the teacher’s salary being solely derived from the fees of the pupils who number about 85. The schoolhouse is the property of the Carron Company per Wm Dawson Esq Carron Iron Works.”
The school was located at the north-west corner of West Carron and may have been taught by Margaret Kerr, the daughter of William Haworth. She is listed in the 1841 census as “teacher” and in 1851 as “schoolmistress.” She died in September 1870 at the age of 74 years and it is probable that the school closed when she retired. The buildings are still shown on the 1896 Ordnance Survey map, but no longer labelled as a school.
National Grid Reference
|West Carron||NS 8787 8250|