This well was supplied with good quality water brought in all the way from Letham and seems to have been of some antiquity. The harbour and Low Town of Airth were developed in the late 17th century and it is likely that the original well belongs to that period. As well as supplying the local inhabitants it would have replenished ships in the nearby harbour. It stood at the back of a small enclosure on the east side of Shore Road about half way from the Cross to the Wilderness.
In the mid 19th century a cover and pump were fitted and it continued in operation until 1913. In July that year the water supply to the pump well dried up. It appears that the spring was affected by new colliery workings at Letham (Falkirk Herald 19 July 1913, 5).
(NS 8995 8768)