The want of a public well between Falkirk and Bainsford was keenly felt and so early in 1908 Falkirk Council installed one at the roadside near to the Oddfellows’ Hall. In a change from normal practice it was decided not to go for a standard cast iron one but to commission one of polished red granite from William Roberts and Son. Within weeks of installation the top was wrenched off and thrown into the roadway. A horse trough was placed nearby.
(NS 8887 8067)