Bathgate began as an independent bank in 1904. It amalgamated with Falkirk and Counties Savings Bank on 21 November 1927. The total fund at the time of amalgamation was £29,000. It was made into a full time branch with premises at 7 Mid Street.
With a huge increase in business, the building proved too small and so a site was purchased at 29 Whitburn Road and construction work began early in 1940. The new building was opened on 17 October that year. It consisted of a large public office, agent’s room, strong room, stationery store and cloakrooms. The structure was of brick with synthetic stone used on the front. It was of a single storey with a flat roof, and the floor and windows were fire resistant. TM Copland, architect.
In 1958 Bathgate became the first mechanised TSB in Scotland.