Dunipace Foundry

Rosebank Foundry

Couper, Alex & Co.

Illus: 1922 Ordnance Survey Map (National Library of Scotland).

Sites & Monuments Record

242 Stirling Street, DennySMR 695NS 808 834

Timeline

1907: Established by five members of the Couper family who worked in the foundry.

1911: Moved from Rosebank across the road to Dunipace, adjacent to the Anchor Burn, taking with it the name of the foundry as the old site was no longer used for this purpose.

1930s: James C Couper, principal proprietor.

1940: Partners – John, Thomas, Alex and James Couper.

1960:  Became a limited company in November known as Alexander Couper and Co (Ironfounders) Ltd.

1979: Mr G Newstead, director.  Essentially a jobbing foundry.

1984: “Jobbing foundry producing grey iron

castings up to Grade 300 (20), also SG iron.  Max. wt. 2000kg.  General range of engineering castings.  Employment range 10-20.”

1998: Went into voluntary liquidation.  Patterns returned to owners.  Outbuild­ings dismantled immediately, main buildings the following year.  Now private housing.

Illus: Aerial photograph of Dunipace Foundry looking east with the Anchor Burn on the right.

Workforce

  • 1934: 36
  • 1935: 40
  • 1960: 40

G.B. Bailey, 2021