Couper, Alex & Co.
Sites & Monuments Record
|242 Stirling Street, Denny||SMR 695||NS 808 834|
1907: Established by five members of the Couper family who worked in the foundry.
1911: Moved from Rosebank across the road to Dunipace, adjacent to the Anchor Burn, taking with it the name of the foundry as the old site was no longer used for this purpose.
1930s: James C Couper, principal proprietor.
1940: Partners – John, Thomas, Alex and James Couper.
1960: Became a limited company in November known as Alexander Couper and Co (Ironfounders) Ltd.
1979: Mr G Newstead, director. Essentially a jobbing foundry.
1984: “Jobbing foundry producing grey iron
castings up to Grade 300 (20), also SG iron. Max. wt. 2000kg. General range of engineering castings. Employment range 10-20.”
1998: Went into voluntary liquidation. Patterns returned to owners. Outbuildings dismantled immediately, main buildings the following year. Now private housing.
- 1934: 36
- 1935: 40
- 1960: 40