Convery’s School

(West End Academy)

Illus: 1858 Ordnance Survey Map (National Library of Scotland).

In 1851 Mr Convery, the teacher at the Falkirk Free Church School, opened a private school in Falkirk which was known as the “West End Academy.”  This he carried on till 1855, when he removed to the Baptist Chapel in Callendar Riggs, which had been vacated some time previously by Messrs Burnsyde and Glass, teachers.  Abandoning the teaching profession for a time, Mr Convery filled several important situations as cashier and book-keeper, but again returned to his original calling as master of the following schools successively: Blackbraes School, Crossroads School, Avonbridge, and lastly at Blackburn, near Bathgate.

National Grid Registration

NS 8901 7989

G.B. Bailey, 2023