The 1835 plan of the Estate of Herbertshire, surveyed by John Wilson, shows that Scrogg Mill on the River Carron was on land owned by a Mr Benny. This was James Benny of Drum and Stoneywood. It is likely that the works moved to Custonhall just a year or two afterwards. Scrog is Scots for brushwood and so it would seem that the earlier mill was involved with the distillation of wood to make wood vinegar. This required a mill to break up the wood.