(1) The three-light window in the south aisle is mostly plain with colourful insets and contrasting black and white borders. The central light has a standing figure of Mary holding the baby Jesus whose arms are outstretched. She stands on a brown globe with a serpent at her feet. In the apex is a star. The left light contains a blue shield set within a cross. On the shield a sword pierces a heart. The right-hand light also has a blue shield on a cross, this time containing white lilies set in a yellow vase. At the base of the central light is the dedication “TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF/ ARTHUR MOLLOY KENNARD PRAY FOR HIM”. The artist was M.E. Aldrich Rope in 1929.
(2) (S. upper): Jesus stands beside a large vine and carries a shepherd’s crook in his left hand and cradles a lamb in his right arm. “I AM THE GOOD SHEPHERD JOB cX.11”/ “IN DEAR MEMORY OF FINDLAY/ ASLEEP SEPTEMBER 12TH”
(3) (N. upper): St John with a halo wearing a white robe and red cloak stands holding a lamp in his left hand. His right hand is raised. “I AM THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD S.JOHN: VIII 12”/ “J.M.ANDERSON WHO FELL/ 1903/ AGED SEVENTEEN.”
(4) (S lower): Heavily robed St Peter (red robe and green cloak) looking up to the right carrying the keys to heaven in his left hand and a fishing net with cork floats draped over his right arm. “S.PETER/ THE WEST WINDOWS IN THIS CHURCH WERE ADORNED/ AND THE CHOIR WINDOW GIVEN BY A GRATEFUL CONGREGATION”
(5) (N lower): Standing female saint writing in a book with a quill pen. “S.JOHN/ TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN/ MEMORY OF J.WATSON LEE/ OVER 30 YEARS ORGANIST IN/ THIS CHURCH: 1902 R.I.P.” “& OFFERED TO THE GLORY OF GOD & IN MEMORY OF EDMUND HUGH/ SAMWELL RECTOR OF CHRIST CHURCH, 1930-36 “FAITHFUL UNTO DEATH”
These windows were dedicated February 1937. Designed and executed by Miss Aldrich Rope of the Warham Guild and were installed by Daniel O’May.
North Side – West to East.
(6) Jesus under a canopy carrying a small child in his left arm with his right hand raised in blessing. There are two children and a kneeling mother in the foreground. A schematic church is shown above. “SUFFER/THE CHILDREN/ TO COME UNTO/ ME” “IN REVERENCE OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF/ LOUISA GRAY WHO DIED DECR 7TH 1878”. Louisa Grey of Blair Lodge Academy.
This window is by James Ballantine & Sons, Edinburgh.
(7) Winged angel in a wood with a chalice in front. A kneeling female figure (red dress, white robe) in the foreground. “NOT MY WILL BUT THINE BE DONE” “TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF/ JAMES DENNISTOUN BAILLIE MAY 1ST 1876/ AND GEORGE A.F.BAILLIE APRIL 7TH 1882/ ALSO JANET SINCLAIR BAILLIE MARCH 12TH 1883 R.I.P.”
(8) – next to pulpit. Robed and winged angel in the foreground with three figures beyond and trees in the background – the Maries at the Tomb. Schematic church above. “TO THE BELOVED MEMORY OF FINDLAY ANDERSON/ WHO DIED NOVEMBER 15TH 1884 AGED 77 THIS/ WINDOW IS ERECTED BY HIS WIDOW AND CHILDREN” “MAYER & Co MUNICH & LONDON”
Note. Mayer & Co was based in Munich and provided stained glass for most of the Catholic churches built in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
South Side – West to East.
(9) Jesus carrying his cross with a Roman cavalryman behind carrying an eagle standard. He is followed by a weeping woman and a man. A vignette below shows four men and a bowl in a pillared room. “IN MEMORY OF MARGARET COLQUHOUN BAILLE 12TH OCT 1868”.
(10) Jesus standing holding a staff in his right hand and blessing a crouched figure. Vignette below with two angels with their right arms raised facing a crouched figure with a cloth and pot. “MARY LYON DENNISTOUN LADY BAILLIE 17TH DECR 1872/ MARGARET DREGHORN BAILLIE 26TH AUGT 1870”
(11) Our Lord.
(12) A standing bearded man wearing a purple robe and carrying a scroll – Elijah
(13) A standing bearded man wearing a red robe and carrying an inscribed stone tablet – Moses.
(14) Chi-rho. “—/ —/ IN MEMORIAM/ FHS – R.I.P.”
G.B. Bailey (2019)