Work started on the new school at Whitecross in August 1954 to designs by Mr A J Smith, the County Architect. The contractor was Duncan Stewart of Bonnybridge and the cost was put at £30,132. Whitecross Primary officially opened on 2 December 1955 with a roll of 174. Two of the classes had occupied the Miners’ Welfare Hall due to the lack of accommodation at Muiravonside School and joined their friends at the new school.
There was a small library. It is a small school, L-shaped in plan with a hall occupying the toe and single storey classrooms the stem. A tall section of the hall supports a water tank.
|YEAR ARRIVED||HEADTEACHER||YEAR LEFT||No. PUPILS|
|Carol Radnor Allerdyce?|
|Mrs Elaine Ramsay||(Present)|
Sites and Monuments Record
|Avontoun Crescent||SMR 2270||NS 9690 7678|