Illus : Sundial on the south-east corner of Skaithmuir Tower (Fleming 1902).
Skaithmuir Tower was erected in the late 16th century and in 1607 was acquired by Alexander, 4th Lord Elphinstone who had a marriage lintel inserted over one of the windows. It was probably at this time that two sundials were placed on the east and west corners of the south wall at second floor level. One is illustrated in Fleming (Fleming 1902, 191). It had the usual two faces for a dial in such a location – that illustrated being the south-eastern example with is south face prominent.
|Skaithmuir Tower||SMR 649||NS 8884 8348|