for Camelon Co-operative Society Ltd
The super store at Camelon started trading in May 1913 and in October an adjoining set of halls on the upper floors fronting the Hedges/Burnside was formally opened. The large hall had a capacity of 450 people and was fitted up for various forms of entertainment. Artistes’ retiring rooms were provided as well as an up to date fireproof projection chamber and screen for cinematographic shows. A lesser hall seated 180. Together with a kitchen and other minor apartments the range was well suited for social gatherings of all sorts. The colour scheme as well as the building was designed by J G Callander, who also supervised the work.
Contractors – Mason work – J Maxwell & Sons, Falkirk; Joiner work – J & A Main, Falkirk; Plaster work – T McGregor & Sons, Laurieston; Plumber work – William Logan, Camelon; Lath work – D Buchan, Falkirk; Electrical work – T Laurie & Co, Falkirk; Painter work – D S McGilchrist, Falkirk; Folding Seats – Kellock & Kilgour, Falkirk.
Camelon Co-operative Store SMR 2027 NS 8708 8041