for J H D Crawford
In 1930 J G Callander designed and built a shop for J H D Crawford to the north of the two existing shops on the east side of Callendar Riggs. The earlier shops, including Gillespie and Main, were of red sandstone from Dumfries in a relatively traditional style, but the new shop was of a contrasting blonde sandstone with a modern finish. It had a steel frame allowing the windows on both floors to be large and set within a dentilled stone frame under a low denticulated parapet. Three years later J G Callander was to place a similar set of shops to the south of the red sandstone buildings for Walter Alexander.