Illus: Grahams Road looking north with the Springfield Sawmill offices on the right.
The new offices in Grahams Road for J Baird & Co Ltd, Springfield Saw Mills, were completed in December 1914. It was a three-storey building with a well-designed and proportioned elevation in a traditional style. It contained a waiting hall with an enquiry office on the ground floor; and the general office on the first floor. Two private rooms, a typists’ room, strong room and cleaner’s store were also included in the building. An unusual feature for the time was an internal telephone apparatus.
Contractors – Mason work – John Gardner; Joiner work – Kellock & Kilgour; Slater work – Drummond & Crowe; Plumber work – J T Borland; Plaster work – D McNair; Lath work – D Buchan; Glazier work – Ferguson & Bell; Electric Lighting and Telephones – D Crosland; Causeway works – F Flaherty.