SMR 248 / NS 9825 7693
The Avon Viaduct on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway spans the valley of the River Avon near Linlithgow Bridge. The contract for this section of the line was awarded to Mr Lorimer in 1839 and work began in the late summer. By the beginning of September 1840 it was reported that:
“This viaduct consists of 20 arches. Sixteen of the piers and the two abutments are about complete; two of the arches are closed, and the work is being proceeded with in an expeditious and satisfactory manner” (Railway Times 5 September 1840, 7).
Grainger and Miller were the engineers. The line opened with an inaugural trip in February 1842.

A dispute then arose with the Burgh of Linlithgow over pontage dues (see Linlithgow Bridge SMR 839).
The viaduct is 442yds long and consists of a main arcade of twenty segmental arches each with a span of 50 ft., with a subsidiary one containing three arches of 20-ft. span which rise from the sloping end of the east abutment. The river runs under the fourth and fifth arches from the east end of the main arcade, the springing-line being 66ft, the underside of the arches 82 ft, and the top of the masonry 92 ft above the water level. The masonry of the piers is block-course in cream-coloured sandstone from Bo’ness, and they measure 28ft by 7ft above the intake that occurs just above the ground at the west end and is repeated throughout the arcade at the same level. The ends of the main arcade are emphasised by shallow buttresses applied to the westernmost pier and to the junction between the easternmost pier and the adjoining 20ft. arch. The piers have plain capitals, and a string-course runs from end to end at the wall-head; above this rises the brickwork that retains the road-bed, and a heavy iron railing.


Bibliography
| Nock, O.S. | 1983 | The Railway Heritage of Britain. p148. |
| Salmon, T.J. | 1913 | Borrowstounness and District. “They also carted stones to Linlithgow Bridge from Bo’ness for the formation of the arches in the viaduct there prior to the opening of the Edinburgh and Glasgow railway.” [p.411] |
| RCAHMS | 1963 | Stirlingshire: An Inventory of the Ancient Monuments. “Avon Viaduct. The Avon Viaduct (Pl. 229A), which spans the valley of the Avon between Linlithgow and Manuel stations, is an original feature of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway (cf. No. 558) opened in 1842. It is 442 yds. long and consists of a main arcade of twenty segmental arches each with a span of 50 ft., with a subsidiary one containing three arches of 20-ft. span which rise from the sloping end of the E. abutment. The river runs under the fourth and fifth arches from the E. end of the main arcade, the springing-line being 66 ft., the underside of the arches 82 ft., and the top of the masonry 92 ft. above the water level.¹ The masonry of the piers is block- course, and they measure 28 ft. by 7 ft. above the intake that occurs just above the ground at the W. end and is repeated throughout the arcade at the same level; the ends of the main arcade are emphasised by shallow buttresses applied to the westernmost pier and to the junction between the easternmost pier and the adjoining 20-ft. arch. The piers have plain capitals, and a string-course runs from end to end at the wall-head; above this rises the brickwork that retains the road-bed, and a heavy iron railing. 979769-983769 NS 97 NE (“Viaduct”) 6 March 1953″ [p.415] |

NEWSPAPERS
- The Scotsman 7 September 1839, 1:
Edinburgh-Glasgow Railway. Contracts. …The concluding Contractor in this portion of the line is Mr Lorimer. His contract is for the Avon Viaduct. He has only lately commenced, but has already laid some of his foundations, and is bringing forward a large stock of stones to the ground… - Railway Times 5 September 1840, 7:
Mr. Lorimer’s Contract for the building of the Avon Viaduct.—This viaduct consists of 20 arches. Sixteen of the piers and the two abutments are about complete; two of the arches are closed, and the work is being proceeded with in an expeditious and satisfactory manner…. - London Evening Standard 21 February 1842, 2:
“…At seven minutes to 11 o’clock the train reached the station at Falkirk, having occupied one hour and thirteen minutes in performing the journey, the engines having been purposely kept the most of the way at a very moderate speed. The sides of the railway were lined with admiring spectators, the bridges across the line, the station, and every height which commanded a view of the train were crowded, and young and old rent the air with their cheers. Among the crowd here, and indeed at all the other points of the line, a large proportion were females, who were quite enthusiastic at the appearance of the scene before them. After supplying the engines with water and coke, and getting an additional engine attached, which occupied about 20 minutes, the train again started, passing through the Calendar Tunnel, and along the great viaduct over the locks on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Union Canal. The tunnel is nearly half a mile in length, arched with brick throughout, and lighted up with gas in the same manner, and by lamps of the same description as in the tunnel at Glasgow.- The crowds on the banks of the line now began to increase in number and in enthusiasm, and cheered and waved their handkerchiefs as the carriages swept proudly along. After passing the Avon viaduct, the travellers were next gratified with a view of the ancient Palace and Church of Linlithgow…
