SMR 584 / NS 9108 7265
The small First World War memorial at Avonbridge was the first civic one to be unveiled in the Falkirk district. It originally stood on a small natural knoll beside the River Avon just to the east of the village off Blackston Road, on ground given by Charles Forbes of Callendar House. It takes the form of an Ionic or Celtic Cross of Aberdeen granite set on a rustic cairn. The cross-head has a simple interlace design and the shaft carries a vertical sword. The inscriptions are confined to panels set into the cairn. That on the front commences “Erected to the memory of our lads who fell in the Great War 1914-1918”. Later on a third panel was formed on one of the sides “Also of our lads who fell in world war 1939-1945”. This is followed by the 33 names of those who were killed in the war out of the 120 local men who served in the armed forces.

After the Second World War more funds were raised and in the summer of 1947 more names were added to a panel on one side of the base and the memorial was renovated. Over the years some of the lead lettering was damaged by youths and so in 1964 the Council moved the monument to the junction of Main Street and Slamannan Road, where it was thought that it would be less prone to vandalism.
Names of the Fallen:
FIRST WORLD WAR
33 men.
The dedication service took place on Saturday 24th October 1920 and opened with a prayer by the Rev. J.B. Garvie, U.F. Church. The monument was then unveiled by Robert Forrester of R. Forrester and Co, coal-owners.
The War Memorial Committee for Avonbridge and Crosscroes had been set up towards the end of the war and with the help of the community was able to raise £367 12s 4d. They selected a monument which was within their budget and approached Charles Forbes for land at a local beauty spot beside the river. Much of the preparation of the site was undertaken voluntarily and the expenditure involved was as follows: labour – £5; monument – £191 18s; cards – £1 15s; iron railings – £46 18s 10d; labour – £12 8s; secretary’s expenses – £1 5s 4d; wire fencing – 19s; cash in bank – £107 15s 2d. Subsequently money was spent upon the planting of ornamental shrubs. Donald M’Kenzie was appointed as the caretaker to look after the site, which he did until 1944.

Andrew Baird, John Barr, Thomas Binnie, Robert Borthwick, Alexander Copland,
Hamilton Dobbie, Andrew Duncan, Thomas Elliot, David Frickleton, John Gilchrist, Thomas Hunter, John Kelso, William Kelso, David Lamond, John Lamond, Charles Main, Malcolm Marshall, John McDonald, Robert McDonald, Alexander McEwan,
William McKechnie, Murdoch McKenzie, John Reid, James Reid, John Robertson,
Peter Russell, James Thomson, Neil Thomson, George Wallace, John Watson, Davie Wilson, Peter Wilson, William Wood.
SECOND WORLD WAR
6 men.
George Wright, John Reynolds, John McFarlane, Joseph Williams, Robert C. Taylor,
Ninnian Y. Clifford.
Bibliography
| Bailey, G.B. | 1994 | ‘Battle Monuments and War Memorials,’ Calatria 6, 1-60. p.21-2 |
NEWSPAPERS
- Falkirk Herald, 23 October 1920, 5:
STANDBURN AVONBRIDGE. AVONBRIDGE WAR MEMORIAL.—Avonbridge war memorial and roll of to honour is to be unveiled on Saturday. It is expected that Mr Robert Forrester, of Messrs R. Forrester and Co, coalowners, will perform the unveiling ceremony. - West Lothian Courier, 29 October 1920, 6:
On Saturday afternoon the memorial erected to perpetuate the names of the men of the district who fell during the war, was unveiled at Avonbridge before a large gathering. Situated to the east of the village, on an elevated piece of ground beside the River Avon, the memorial is in the form of a cross, composed of granite, and on two panels at the base in black lettering is the following inscription, with the names of the 33 men who made the supreme sacrifice:- “Erected to the memory of our lads who fell in the great war, 1914-1918 – Andrew Baird, John Barr, Thomas Binnie, Robert Borthwick, Alexander Copland, Hamilton Dobbie, Andrew Duncan, Thomas Elliot, David Frickleton, John Gilchrist, Thomas Hunter, John Kelso, William Kelso, David Lamond, John Lamond, Charles Main, Malcolm Marshall, John M’Donald, Robert M’Donald, Alexander M’Ewan, Wm, M’Kechnie, Murdoch M’Kenzie, John Reid, James Reid, John Robertson, Peter Russell, Jas. Thomson, Neil Thomson, Geo. Wallace, John Watson, Dav. Wilson, Peter Wilson, Wm. Wood,” To date a sum of £200 which was raised in the district, has been expended on the memorial, and the committee propose to spend the remainder of the funds in hand in laying off the ground surrounding the memorial.- The dedication service was opened with a prayer by the Rev. J.B. Garvie, U.F. Church…. unveiling by Robert Forrester… the men who enrolled from Avonbridge and Crosscroes numbered 120, 33 of whom were killed.
- Falkirk Herald, 30 October 1920, 7;
“AVONBRIDGE WAR MEMORIAL Unveiling Ceremony. An interesting and impressive function took place at Avonbridge last Saturday afternoon, when a large gathering assembled to witness the unveiling of the memorial cross erected to commemorate the men belonging to the district who fell in the Great War. The memorial, which takes the form of an Ionic cross of Aberdeen granite, has been erected on a natural knoll by the side of the River Avon, on a site generously given for all time by Mr Forbes of Callendar. Mr Robert Duncan presided over the function, and the unveiling ceremony was performed by Mr Robert Forrester. The proceedings opened with the dedication of the memorial and prayer by the Rev J.B. Garvie, M.A. Then followed the singing of Psalm 124, and Scripture reading from 2nd Samuel i 17-27 and Revelations vii 9-17… AVONBRIDGE DISTRICT’S RECORD IN THE WAR. Mr Forrester, in unveiling the memorial said:-We meet to-day to do homage to the memories of those brave men who gave their lives for their country and for our safety… The men who enrolled from Avonbridge and Crosscroes districts numbered 120. the majority of these men joined the Royal Scots and Argylls, some joined the Black Watch, Machine Gun Corps, Royal Garrison Artillery, the Scots Guards, and some the Navy. Thirty-three of these men, or 27 per cent., made the supreme sacrifice. One received the M.C. and five the M.M. Two were made prisoners of war, but both, we are glad to know, returned well. more than half the men enrolled were wounded. This district is a sparsely populated district, mining being, perhaps, the chief industry, and taking into consideration that for a time those in the mining industry were exempt from service in the Great War, I think this record is a record of which we may well be proud. (Applause). I unveil this Avonbridge War memorial, erected in memory of the 33 men from the districts of Avonbridge and Crosscroes, whose names are engraved on the tablet, who laid down their lives for their country…” With the benediction, the sounding of “The Last Post,” and the singing of the National Anthem the proceedings were brought to a close.” - Falkirk Herald, 27 August 1921, 5:
AVONBRIDGE WAR MEMORIAL,—In regard to the memorial which was inaugurated and unveiled at Avonbridge on 24th October last, the financial statement as to the cost of the memorial was submitted at a meeting of the committee on Thursday. The statement showed that the total income was £367 12s 4d, while expenditure involved was as follows: Labour – £5; monument – £191 18s; cards – £1 15s; iron railings – £46 18s 10d; labour – £12 8s; secretary’s expenses – £1 5s 4d; wire fencing – 19s; cash in bank – £107 15s 2d; total £367 12s 4d. it was agreed to proceed in the autumn with the planting of ornamental shrubs, which will add to the beauty and restfulness of the enclosure. - Falkirk Herald, 18 March 1944, 7:
AVONBRIDGE WAR MEMORIAL —The unexpected death of the chairman, Councillor Wm. Stewart, occasioned a special meeting of the committee in the Welfare Hall on Thursday evening. Mr J.S. Lennox, secretary, acted as interim chairman. Tribute was paid to the late chairman for his faithful service to the War Memorial. Mr J. M’Cowan was elected chairman and treasurer. The auditor’s report showed a bank balance of £13 9s 9d, plus £90 War Savings Certificates invested in November 1938. The chairman intimated that Mr Donald M’Kenzie, caretaker, wished to retire from the post he had held since the inception of the monument in 1919. The committee accepted his resignation with regret. The question of a new caretaker was left on the hands of the secretary. - Falkirk Herald, 4 October 1947, 3:
The War Memorial Committee held a meeting in the Congregational Church hall last Thursday evening. Councillor J. M‘Cowan, who presided, intimated that additional names of those who had fallen in the great World War were now inscribed on the monument and that the entire edifice had been thoroughly renovated. The treasurer, Mr M’Cowan, submitted a special balance-sheet, which showed a substantial balance at credit of £125 5s 10d. It was unanimously resolved to inaugurate an annual church parade and monument ceremony on Remembrance Sunday and to invite the ministers of the respective churches to attend the next meeting. - West Lothian Courier, 20 September 1963, 20:
AVONBRIDGE WAR MEMORIAL. The District Council has been giving consideration to the repairs required to the War Memorial, which appear to be excessive. The stonework required cleaning, the cross surmounting the memorial needs to be made secure, and some 100 letters require to be replaced. It was concluded that, although the expense seemed quite unjustified, much of the wanton abuse may be caused by the site of the memorial, which is remote from the village. The re-siting of the memorial within the village might induce more respect for this monument, and public spiritedness might protect it from vandals. - West Lothian Courier, 26 June 1964, 8:
AVONBRIDGE WAR MEMORIAL. At a meeting of the District Council, held on 17th June, it was decided, after the Council had inspected the Memorial, that the young people of the village had behaved very well and that the site should be finished off without the addition of railings. If at any time in the future this trust was found to have been unjustified railings could be added.
