NS 8877 8023
NS 8876 8004
1843 Falkirk Free Church 1900
1900 St. Andrew’s United Free Church 1929
1929 Falkirk St. Andrew’s Church of Scotland 1990
1990 Falkirk St Andrew’s West
1843: In the year of the Disruption events moved quickly; May – meeting in Cistern Lane Chapel; June – Free Church congregation formed and joined by the congregation of the Cistern Lane Chapel, holding services in Cistern Lane and the Relief Church; August – Cistern Lane Chapel leased for a year from William Simpson for £30; November – minister inducted.
1844, Nov: New church building opened at Garrison Place, built by Thomas Wyse, mason, and Mr Black the carpenter, according to a design by Rev. Irving. Cost £1,144 for the building and £270 for the land.
1846: School started in the Pleasance (in 1851 a building was erected in Meek’s Road, and in 1872 it was handed over to the School Board).
1866: Mission church built in Shieldhill (which became a church in its own right in 1890).
1870: Mission church built in Camelon.
1878: Bainsford became a separate charge.
Mission started at Callendar Riggs using the old Baptist Chapel (bought by Rev. Irving in 1849 and bequeathed in 1890 to the Free Church by his widow, closed 1931).
1888: Irving Memorial Church established in place of the home mission in Camelon.
1896: Foundation stone laid 15th September 1894, and in January 1896 the new church opened in Newmarket Street on part of the garden of the manse of the Parish Church. Designed by James Strang in the mid-pointed Gothic style. The north gable that faces the street is dominated by a 130ft tall spire. The whole executed in red snecked rubble by Messrs J and P M’Lauchlan, Larbert. The church measures 58ft by 72ft. The upper hall 25ft by 51ft, lower hall 19ft by 37ft. Cost £8,100.
1914-18: Halls used by the Navy.
1926: Electricity installed.
1930: Oak platform extended and new oak furnishing by Whytock & Reid of Edinburgh installed, including a pulpit, communion table, minister’s chair, elders’ chairs, choir stall, screens, lectern and a small writing desk. Work supervised by Robert Wilson.
1935-37: Internal renovations.
1936: Missions at Etna Road and Thornhill Road closed January.
1939-45: Halls used by army.
1979-82: “Well” or internal courtyard built in to provide committee rooms, etc.
1990: Merger with the West Church.
1878: Site on the Established Church glebe acquired and manse built at a cost of £2,587 – Arnothill.
1896: Baptismal font, situated in chancel, given by Dr and Mrs Prangnell. A clock in the centre gallery given by Buchanan.
1930: Organ and communion table re-arranged on advice from the Scottish artist Sir D. Cameron. The carving on the table includes corn and grapes, symbolic of the bread and wine of the sacrament. Some of this is painted scarlet and gold indicating sacrifice and glory.
1931: Old pulpit and chair given to Cockstown Presbyterian Church in Co. Tyrone.
1950: War memorial plaque and canopy dedicated.
1913: From Ingram and Co, Edinburgh.
1840s? Bell presented by Thomas Keir.
1895: Bell cast by John Murphy, weight 16 cwt, with the inscription: “FALKIRK FREE CHURCH, 1895 (shamrocks) J.MURPHY, FOUNDER, DUBLIN” (harp and crown). Also depicted is a watchtower with a watchman, and a dog. Cost £55 plus £38 for the fittings.
See separate entry for stained glass.
1896: 950, later reduced.
MINISTERS OF ST ANDREW’S CHURCH
|Irving, Lewis Hay||1877|
|Mair, Hugh||Apr 1884|
|Adamson, Thomas||Jan 1888|
|Johnston, James Brown||Dec 1928|
|Ferguson, Alexander||Sep 1938|
|Mar 1939||Soutar, William||Jan 1951|
|Aug 1951||Pollock, Robert Clements||Aug 1971|
|May 1972||McGhee, Robert||Mar 1996|
G.B. Bailey (2019)