Laurieston Parish Church

Laurieston Church(SMR 830)

NS 9131 7940

St. Columba

TIMELINE

1889:  Mission station of Falkirk Parish Church set up in an old bake-house at the corner of George Street, Laurieston.

1893:  Present church built as a chapel of ease with a constitution on land feued from Mr Rankine of Pilton Cottage.   Foundation stone laid 31st July.  The architects were A and W Black, with Mr Learmouth as mason.  Completed 1896 at a cost of £1000.  The design is Gothic and the construction was so arranged  that,  although complete in itself, the south gable could  easily  be removed  and transepts and a choir added to give a cruciform plan and a  larger church.   The principal features were the four-light window in the north gable that fronts Polmont Road and the entrance porch on the west.  Lancet windows in the side walls occurred in the bays formed by the buttresses.  At the rear a vestry and hall were provided.  A raised platform at the south end held the minister’s table and desk.  The site was then at the east end of the village, which was growing in that direction.

1905:  Plans by Messrs Hamilton, architects, used for an extension, which cost £1000.  Ramsay Bros, masons.

1914: Promoted to a Quad sacra parish on 10th July.

1945: United with Laurieston West on 25th April.

1980: Linked with Redding and Westquarter.

FITTINGS

1896:  The old pulpit from the Falkirk Parish Church was installed to replace the pulpit desk.

BELL

1896: Cast by John C. Wilson.

WINDOW

See separate stained glass entry.

SEATING

1893: 260 persons.

MINISTERS OF LAURIESTON PARISH CHURCH

Jun 1896

Brownlie, Charles May 1898

Aug 1898

Allen, Thomas Nelson Oct 1899

Feb 1900

Dron, John Archibald Sep 1908

Dec 1908

Robb, Alexander Barrie Jan 1939

Sep 1939

McLean, Neil Alexander May 1944

Oct 1945

Smart, Robert Marshall May 1958

Dec 1958

Brown, Gavin Shanks 1980

Sep 1980

McDowell, Ronald J June 2001

June 2001

Smart, Geoffrey H  

G.B. Bailey (2019)