NS 9284 7783
1843 Polmont Free Church 1900
1900 Polmont South United Free Church 1929
1929 Polmont South Church of Scotland Brightons Church of Scotland
1843: Free Church congregation assembled at Blairlodge School, with Rev Robert Cunningham the headmaster there as moderator.
1847: Land at Coney Park purchased in 1846. Church building designed by Brown & Carrick, architects, Glasgow. New building completed. Stone donated by Mr Lawrie, owner of the quarry at Lawrie Park. Masonwork by William Thorburn of Polmont. Building insured for £800. 21 July first service.
The church is restrained Gothic with lancet windows built to a T-plan with a single storey vestry to the rear. Ashlar to front elevation which has a 3-bay advanced gable, pinnacled buttresses and flanking bays. Tudor arched doorway with hood-moulded triple lancet window above. The gable is surmounted by an angle buttressed stone spired bellcote with louvred openings.
1870: Spire repaired.
1900: Union to become the United Free Church of Polmont.
1907: Gas lighting.
1914: Mains water.
1929: Union to become Polmont South Church.
1935: Re-opened in September after extensive repairs.
1936: Clubroom built by Boys Brigade.
1950: Mission hall at Rumford demolished.
1958: Feb. 16th linked with Shieldhill.
1961: Link with Shieldhill terminated.
1968: Old halls and stable demolished. New hall opened.
1971: Roof reconstructed to an unusual design.
1974: Second hall opened, cost £9,000.
2005: Roof replaced.
1849: Manse built in church grounds. Brown of Uphall, architect, Henry Farmer & William Taylor, contractors.
1956: Old manse uninhabitable, 11 Main St purchased for £2,610. Old manse demolished the following year.
c1890: Stable block added.
1967: Manse sold and a new one built in the church grounds.
1861: 3 communion chairs of oak donated.
1935: Communion table donated by Mrs A Thomson of Quarry House. Font donated by Miss C Trench.
1857: Bell donated by John Miller of Millfield. Made by John C. Wilson and Co.
See separate entry for stained glass.
MINISTERS OF POLMONT FREE CHURCH
|1846||Boyd, James||May 1867|
|Jan 1868||Simpson, John||1873|
|Dec 1873||Anderson, James||1907|
|1907||Bogie, David Kinnear||1923|
|1924||MacLellan, John||Jun 1933|
|Nov 1933||Gibbons, Harry Valentine||Oct 1949|
|Jan 1950||Hood, James William||May 1961|
|May 1962||Stewart, Angus Taylor||1967|
|Nov 1967||Heriot, Charles Rattray||Mar 1996|
G.B. Bailey (2019)