Prior to the construction of the windmill at Bridgeness in 1750 the Barony of Grange was served by a water mill. It is mentioned in a charter to John Hamilton of the estate in 1615 (Salmon 1913, 149) and again in 1696 (Binns Papers 270). The water mill, referred to as the “auld mylne of ye Grainge” had its water supply augmented by water pumped out of the estate’s coal workings. This would have been the “Old Mill Sink” located in the south-east corner of Kinningars Park.
Sites and Monuments Record
|Grange Mill||(NT 015 812)|