Alexanders’ Store

Horsemarket Lane

Having made structural alterations to Alexanders’ Stores in 1911 to fit it up as a department store, J G Callander returned in 1927 to add an extension on the back to provide extra room and access from Horsemarket Lane.

A massive further extension in 1935 took the store all of the way to manor Street where a new shop front was added.  It presented a large glass façade contained within a modern steel and concrete frame in the modern style with little decoration.

Illus: The Manor Street entrance to Alexanders’ Stores.

The shopfront still survives but the doorway lower windows have been bricked up and a vehicular entrance formed.

G.B. Bailey, 2021